What is Botox?
- An injectable medication used to reduce the strength of targeted muscles
- Botox effectively blocks transmission of the neurotransmitter to the muscle, so that it does not contract
- Lines on the face are caused by repetitive creasing of the skin caused by contraction of the underlying muscles
- Our facial "habits" create our wrinkles
- Botox breaks these habits by not allowing us to contract these muscles
Most common areas for Botox use:
- Glabellar/Frown Lines (the "11's' between the eyebrows)
- Horizontal Forehead Lines
- Crow's Feet (outer eye area)
- Radial Lip Lines (called the "smoker" lines, though they can be caused by other habits)
But it can also be used for...
- Gummy smiles
- Downturned corners of mouths
- Bruxism, clenching, and TMD
- Dimpling of chin
- "Bunny" Lines (inner eye area)
- Platysmal bands in neck
- Tension headaches/Migraines
What is Juvederm?
- A temporary filler, it is a gel made up of hyaluronic acid (a hydrophilic carbohydrate that binds water) that naturally exists in all living organisms
Where can it be used?
- Nasolabial Folds (smile lines)
- Downturned mouth
- Marionette lines (from corners of mouth through chin)
- "Smoker's" lines around mouth
- Stubborn forehead lines
- Thinned lips
- Cheeks/mid-face volume loss
- Pre-jowel sulcus (indent on sides of chin)